Sunday, December 27, 2009

Those I Have Admired....And a Single Task...

Looking back at the myriad of women I have looked to for inspiration during my lifetime has brought me to one salient point. It is time to be finished with waiting to become someone other than myself. End of story.

Here then, were my heroes.....

Joan Marlowe, my dancing school teacher...no photo of Miss Joan, only memories...

Tap Shoes

The older girls in my Irish Dance classes...I strove to match their amazingly complicated steps....

Step Dancers

Sister Miriam Joseph, 7Th grade teacher...incredibly beautiful, the epitome of smooth....no photo available....nor necessary....

Nun

Pattie Boyd, girlfriend of Beatle George Harrison, cool, lovely, George's girlfriend....no more need be said...

Pattie Boyd

Betty Smith, author of "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn"...I tried to fashion stories as she did...

Betty Smith

Joni Mitchell....sigh...was, and is, an enormous part of my overall psyche...I adore her and cherish how she is a constant in my heart and mind...

Joni

Mary Cassatt, artist, Impressionist, free spirit...while attending the Art Students League in Manhattan I once believed I might channel her talent on those most creative of days...

Mary Cassatt

Joan Marlowe, Part Two...while teaching dance in the South Bronx, thought surely that I would perish if not able to follow in Joan's path of choreographing musicals...did not choreograph, nor did I perish....

Dance

Elizabeth Berg, fellow Chicagoan, novelist extraordinaire...she writes me....not about me...rather writes ME...

Elizabeth Berg

Amy Krouse Rosenthal, writer, astonishing thinker, "The Beckoning of Lovely" muse....she puts my thoughts, my words, on paper in ways I have not...

Amy Krouse Rosenthal

Lastly, Beatrice Potter, illustrator, writer, ultimately independent woman when independence seemed improbable..

Beatrice Potter

So then, my list....much considered, much examined. Time to allow the list to take wings. Time to find inspiration within.

This years sole task begins.....