Thursday, January 1, 2009

A New Year...A New Beginning....Again....

While I attended Our Lady of the Rosary grade school there were two times of the year I saw as chances to begin again...to start fresh....to do better...to start with a clean, fresh black and white composition book with no eraser marks. September and January signaled those opportunities.

Pattie

I continue to see the year in that light, feeling that I have yet another chance to begin again, to get things right. Right means being a better mother, a kinder person, a more loving wife. It means gifting myself with time and attention to that creative side of me neglected for far too long.

I have been a dancer, a writer, an artist, and a musician....all so many, many years ago. Though I no longer can dance full out, paint at the Art Students League on 57th Street, or play guitar with friends well into the night, there are things I can do...today.

I will journal and draw once again, I will photograph what I see, I will learn to play Jimmy Webb's "Highway Man' on the piano, and maybe sing along, I will finally bake the 50 step Rum Cake that so reminds me of OLR schoolmate Angela Gustino, I will paint a faux Amish rug on the front porch floor, I will learn to ride a bike, I will learn to roller blade so that I might feel like I am flying, I will learn to juggle.....

All this, and perhaps more, I will do. It's time to move ahead. It's time to stop waiting for the moment to begin. It is time to embrace these words....

"Dance like no one is watching, love like you'll never be hurt,sing like no one is listening,and live like it's heaven on earth."- William Purkey
2122239483_fae687db21